cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 IP not visible to network

dvdsmith
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings all, I'm new to Cisco hardware so bear with me.

On my network are a number of switches including two catalysts, a 1600-24 and a 2950-24. Once I enabled password via terminal for the 1600, I've been able to manage it via a browser. Unfortunately, the secret password was already set on the 2950, and no one knew who set it. Currently, no one is using the 2950, but that will change. It is running IOS 12.1.

From the Cisco site I followed the "Password Recovery Procedure". Prior to this the IP (fixed, no gateway or DHCP defined) was pingable across the network. After the password recovery, it doesn't respond to ping, telnet or http requests. However, "show running-config" indicates the IP and subnet are the same as before, and PCs connected are able to access network resources. I set the password and disabled secret password.

I then followed the info from Cisco on resetting to factory defaults. I set the IP and subnet for vlan1 and set a password, still no change. It works but the IP is not visible on the network (no ping, telnet, nothing), so I cannot access the CMS.

Have I missed something obvious here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I've downloaded and read through the Software Configuration Guide, and searched the forums, but so far haven't found anything new.

Thanks, David

7 Replies 7

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

If it is not reachable then how are you doing a sh run ?

One would assume via console! With regards to not being able to ping or telnet to 2950: Are you trying to access from same local IP segment? If not, you will need ip default-gateway statement on the 2950. Make sure you have a password configured under vty lines. Do you show line and protocol up when you do a show interface vlan 1

Thanks all for the replies. I think you pegged it with line and protocol. SHOW INTERFACE VLAN 1 retrieves the following;

vlan1 is administratively down, line protocol is down

I did a search of the manual and didn't find anything obvious on how to change this. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dave

switch#config t

switch(config)#interface vlan 1

switch(config-if)#no shut

switch(config-if)#end

switch#write mem

Pallette, that did it! Now that I know what the problem was, I can set up the other 2950 on my LAN.

Thanks alot,

Dave

stephenshaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

We had similar problems when we first started installing and using the 2950s - the problem was IOS code related and an upgrade solved the problems regarding not being able to ping or telnet into the switches. Cisco can recommend a suitable code to use.

Steve

I seem to recall that. I do remember one issue with cdp neighbor needing to be disabled, but there is new code that resolves that issue

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card