cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 VLAN problem

frankmiller
Level 1
Level 1

I have a mostly Cisco network with a 3750 being the primary head before the 7200 router access to the DS3. On that 3750 I have VTP server enabled with 12 VLANs. On the 3750 root switch in the new building and all the 3550s there I have setup for VTP client.

My problem is after I assign more than 12 FE ports to a specific VLAN the next one I add to any VLAN on the same switch I lose all connectivity on the FE ports.

I have not setup interfaces for the VLANs since I'm running static IP for all of the end node machines. I haven't read where that is a problem at least so far.

I don't know a whole lot about VLAN setup other than reading most of what's here on the subject so at this point I'm hoping someone else has experienced the same problem.

Also if configs would help I'll be glad to post them.

Thanks!

17 Replies 17

Ok, now after blowing out the config and changing things around I have finally got fe0/1 and fe0/2 to be able to ping each other, the vlan 2 interface, and the subsequent vlan 2 interfaces on the 3750 switches.

Now my problem is getting access to the outside world, ie. getting access to websites, mail servers, etc.. These are lab units and need that type of access to be able to function as they did before the vlan was put in place to isolate them.

I am attaching the new configs in order to hopefully shed some more light on the new development.

Thanks for your all your help!

here's the 3550 config it didn't post right I think

Figured out the problem. It lies with the way our DS3 is connected. Our Main campus provides our connectivity and had grouped the subnet on their end negating all I was doing. I have since broke the subnet out of the group and all is well.

Thanks for all the help