Views
Helpful
Replies

3745 IOS problems

eavanmangan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 3745 router and I tried to load a new IOS onto it but when I went through the process of adding it, the router didn't ask me if I wanted to erase the old one. It now has the two IOSs loaded on but it isn't using the new IOS. IS there some way to change this or do I have to erase them both completely and then re-add the new IOS?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If flash is large enough to contain two images then the update download will not prompt you about erasing flash and will have both images in flash - which is the situation that you are in.

You do not need to erase flash or re-add the new image. What you need to do is to add a command to the configuration:

boot system flash:

By default the router will boot the first image that it finds in flash (which would be the old image). The boot system command instructs the router to use the new image.

Adding the boot system command should make it work to use the new image.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the reply Rick.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be working. There are currently three different IOS on the machine and it;s the most recent one that I want it to use but it is determined to still use the second most recent one. Any ideas on why this might be?

Many thanks.

The boot system argument should take care of the IOS preference. If it cannot boot the image it will move to the next.

If it is not then there could be a problem when it tries to load that image. Are you getting any errors when it boots up?

Daniel

Eavan

The boot system command should allow you to boot whichever version you want. If it is not doing that I would suspect either that there is a problem with the most recent image that you downloaded or a problem with the syntax of the boot system command.

To resolve the question it would help us if you would post the output of the show flash command on the router. Also if you would post the exact configuration commands that you have on the router it would help. It would also be nice if you could capture and post the console messages when the router is booting.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your input. I have managed to resolve the issue by typing "no boot system flash filename" to eliminate the IOS that was loading. I was then able to boot the router with the desired IOS. My final problem (which the changing if IOS was supposed to resolve!) is to get the router to acknowledge that the network module plugged into it can act as a WAN interface! If any of you are familiar with this problem I would be eternally grateful for any advice you could give!

Thanks again,

Eavan