---- ----------

253 300

252 300

254 300

255 300

1 300

251 300

--------

The aging is not working. I can failover some devices I have and the mac-address of the old device associated the the IP never ages out. "Clear arp" makes the standby unit respond to pings and connectivity to the standby unit is 100% after the "clear arp".

Showing the arp cache, I can see the IP associated with the old mac-address and the "age" keeps increasing, not decreasing with the old mac-address.

It also doesn't matter if the Primary unit has been rebooted, switch keeps the old mac-address associated the Primary unit.

Suggestions?

3 Replies 3

dmoorefnlc
Level 1
Level 1

bump

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

I think permanent entry should have been made into the arp cache using the "arp ip-address hardware-address type" command.

To remove this arp entry, you can try "clear arp-cache".This will delete all dynamic entries from the ARP table.

for more details, refer the following page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800ca5b0.html#1017562

why would I want to make a perm. apr entry? I need the arp cache to "age-out" in 5 mins like my sho command indicates.

The aging-time for my arp table is 5 mins. I need the old mac-address associated with the IP to "age-out" so my new mac-address can be associated with the same IP.