cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 module

onazold
Level 1
Level 1

Can I use a WS-X4418-GB (for 4507) to connect 3550's at access level?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

aashish.c
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

u can use this module on 4507 to connect 3550s at access level. its a 18 port Gbic module and needs minimum IOS required for this module is 12.1(8a)EW

AND RECOMMENDED IS 12.2(18)EW1 .

Thanks

aashish C

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

a.awan
Level 4
Level 4

I am sure you already know that 16 out of the total of 18 ports on this particular module are over-subscribed in groups of four. Each group of four ports shares 1 Gbps of bandwidth. Personally i will not recommend using the entire module for uplinking access switches. What kind of aggregation density are we talking about here? Have you looked into the 6 port non-blocking module for aggregating access switches.

If your requirement is to aggregate one or two switches then you can but the more switches you aggregate on this module the higher the chance of blocking but then again it also depends on how much traffic has to traverse this module.

aashish.c
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

u can use this module on 4507 to connect 3550s at access level. its a 18 port Gbic module and needs minimum IOS required for this module is 12.1(8a)EW

AND RECOMMENDED IS 12.2(18)EW1 .

Thanks

aashish C

onazold
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to both. I did look at the 6 port mod. but I need to connect 7 switches. Didnt really want to connect through the sup. Wont be doing any aggregation either. Just straight connections to the 3550s.

When i asked about aggregation density i meant switch aggregation and you have provided the answer in your last post. If you forsee growth then my recommendation will be to go via two 6 port modules provided you do not have financial restrictions (which is a brave assumption i know). I guess the final decision will be yours as you should be well aware of the traffic patters on your network.

I appreciate your comments. Luckily, the remote sites have about 2-5 users....and our 4507 is fully populated. My initial recomendation was to go with a 6509, but what can you do? Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card