cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 upgrade and bootloader

c.armentor
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding the bootldr image on a 6500. I am upgrading the bootflash on a 6500. When I reload it the bootldr will be pointing to a bootldr image that is not there. Will it automatically go into rommon mode? Should I delete the Bootldr statement all together before I reload it?

Thanks,

Colin

3 Replies 3

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If your only boot variable is what it currently points to, yes it will go into rommon when you reload the switch with the new bootflash. You can either point it to an image in the PCMCIA slot if available or simply have it boot the first file in bootflash as the bootflash chip will have a boot helper file loaded on it.

How do I set it to boot from the first file in bootflash? I do have PCMCIA available, but I can only point the main system image to this, not the bootldr correct?

Currently the main system image is on the PCMCIA because of memory restrictions, that is why we are upgrading memory.

Thanks!

Colin

What flavor of MSFC is this? If this is an MSFC2, a bootloader is not required.

To set the boot variable to boot the first file in bootflash, simple enter the following global configuration:

boot system flash bootflash: