cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 generating config change alarms if we run' sh commands' like show run'

syedkhalid-ali
Level 1
Level 1

We are running Version 12.2(17d)SXB4 on 6509s.6509 is reporting config change alarms to snmp server, even if some show commands run e.g 'show run'( which is infact not a config change ).Can we tune SNMP config on 6509 so that it does not generate this type alarms ( but we do want to recieve true config change alarms) ?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

pmajumder
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Is your run config the same as your startup? I would verify that since a sh run will build the configuration which could be different than your startup.

Regards

Pradeep

How does it relate to alarm if they are same or different?

Even the alarm is generated if we save the config.

Any thoughts, how can we ensure that 6509 would not send these alarms ( show run, wr mem) to SNMP server

Doe it make any difference, from alarms perspective, if they are same or diffrent?

We are getting alarms on SNMP server if some one does show run ( or wr t or sho config) + plus if someone does wr m or copy running config start up config ( i.e save the config).

Can we block the the switch so that it does not send these alarms to the SNMP server?

All the necessary information about SNMP traps can be found on the following webpage: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094aa1.shtml

The information should help you solve your problem.

Regards,

Michaël

todd.martin-02
Level 1
Level 1

The trap you speak of is the sysConfigChangeTrap

(.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.0.9) unfortunatly I too am seeing the same activity durring a non-config change command.I see it on both switchs and routers.

I have to disable the config trap all together because these traps are too noisy for our enviroment.

This will most likly need to be fixed in a new code revision.

Cisco? are you listening?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card