cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 sup2 - redundant MSFC2 (dual or single router mode?)

pbrown
Level 1
Level 1

What are the pros and cons of running my MSFC2 routers in dual router mode(HSRP) vs. single router mode?

I see that the HSRP method will require me to use more addresses - two physical and one virtual for each VLAN. HSRP also allows me to do some load balancing.

How quickly is the failover in single router mode? I havn't tried it yet but see in the docs something about 120 seconds. I hope that isn't the time the interfaces are offline.

I'll be adding BGP to this config soon and need to know how that might effect my redundancy decision.

Thanks,

Pat

3 Replies 3

Bradley Littlejohn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HSRP is going to be faster for failover. I like SRM if it is a dual core env. Then I run HSRP between cores and SRM between the MSFC's in the same box.

I'm running a single chassis so perhaps I'll stick to HSRP with config sync configured.

--Pat

All config sync does is make you put the config in one MSFC. It still uses HSRP to failover to the other MSFC.

Some customers have problems with config sync because you have to remember when to use the "alt" command. A if you do not do it right, it will keep on telling you it can not "sync".

I would use just hsrp and make most of the vlan interfaces "passive" for you dynamic routing protocol. Otherwise, every vlan interface will neighbor with the vlan interface on the other MSFC.

If you are building a network with a 6509. Here is a good doc to start with.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/103.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card