cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7200VXR Vs 3550 EMI

vkhanduri
Level 1
Level 1

I have a several 7200vxrs spare availbale along with 3550emi.

I need to have a layer 3 device with only 2 fast Ethernet connnections, and they will be doing routing. Which is better to use?

which had better throughput?

and what re the limitations over another?

Thanks in advance.

Vikas Khanduri

7 Replies 7

denisluo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could U provide more detail about network backgroud

requirement for such proposal??

Denis

Denis,

There is a layer 2 mesh.

F G H....

| | |

A------Switch------E

| | |

B C D

There is 50 such remote sites (the diagram only show A to E). All the remote sites re going to be a routed links.

Cost is not the factor. All the remote sites re for internal use.

What is the better option? Is there a documentation where it describes which device is faster 7200 or 3550.

Hi,

from ur brief diagram, i guess it seem that u want to

setup IXP(Internet Exchange Point)-like solution,Am i right?? If yes, u must be think about the quantity of

end users not remote sites, and the routing protocals

used in such diagram.

and another hand, The Router 7200 and Switch 3550 are different network equipments for use. "which is faster", I think that one which only suit for ur solution is the best one.

Good luck,

If you are looking for raw performance the 7200VXR is going to be alot faster than a 3550. The 7200 can be equiped with a NPE-G1 or a NSE-1. These engines provide way more performance power than a 3550. But remember that the 7200 has less port density than a 3550. Depending on the 3550 model you can have 48 routed interfaces.

I have NPE 400. And all I need is 2 Fa ports to act an edge router.

I might be doing encrypting traffic goiing through the service provider in future. I guess, 3550 can not do that????/

thnx

I already have routing protocol in mind. All the remote sites will be in 1 broadcasting domain, so no suboptimal routing is going to take place. Quantity of users at the remote re being handled by 6513s at each end.

I am just looking for which device to use for better performance at the edge for Fa handout (I dont have fa TX port on 6500s). SO am debating between 3550 or 7204 ( I have both ). I just need 2 fa ports, one going to my service provider and the other to my 6500.

Thanx

Well, After u description, i imaged such diagram:

1 2 ......50

\ \ \ \|

C6513 -------(Fe)-- net device --(Fe)--ISP

am i right for this??

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card