cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7600 Cisco vs M120 Juniper throughput .. Aggregate Half-Duplex Throughput

Dears

Would like your assistance please regarding below

Soon we should replace Juniper M120 routers with Cisco 7600 routers

I was checking throughput for each but seems there is a difference between how Cisco & Juniper interpret their throughput in datasheet

Cisco 7600

For RSP720 when it say 720 Gb/s to my knowledge this means 360 half-duplex so you can send 360 Gb/s in each of in/out direction thus theortically you get 720 Gb/s as throughput but not 720 Gb/s in one direction

(RSP720 has integrated fabric crossbar with 18 trace/connection to line cards .. each trace is 20 Gb/s .. 20*18 = 360)

Juniper M120

But here in Juniper its is somehow confusing as it seems to be the opposite Any ideas how it can be interpreted at Juniper

Or in another words what is the difference between "Aggregate Half-Duplex Throughput" & "Aggregate Full-Duplex Throughput"

compare.png

Many Thanks
Sherif Ismail

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The Cisco RSP720 are 18 x 20 Gbps (duplex); meaning each can ingress 20 Gbps while egressing 20 Gbps, or 18 * 40 Gbps = 720 Gbps.

(BTW, bandwidth per slot is dual 20s, except for the 7613, where only the bottom 5 slots are dual 20s, others are single 20s.)

Juniper does seem confusing, but what they are showing, I believe, is 1x full duplex = 2x half duplex of bandwidth.

Thanks Joseph

But 1x full duplex = 2x half duplex is somehow strange as in this case it means that both half duplex with be in either tx or rx , correct !

Regards

Sherif Ismail

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I don't think that's how they intend for us to understand their half vs. full bandwidths.

Fabrics should be bi-directional, i.e. then can send and receive.

When Cisco first came out with duplex FastEthernet, they used to "advertise" bandwidth capacity as 200 Mbps, i.e. 2x the bandwidth of a half-duplex FE.  In other words, this "new" duplex FE link, of 200 Mbps, was like two half duplex FE links of 100 Mbps.

Today, half duplex is becoming a rarity.  Do we refer to FE links today as 200 Mbps or 100 Mbps, or gigE links today as 1 Gbps or 2 Gbps?

Besides full duplex becoming the norm, I think we often refer to bandwidth of links by their bandwidth from source to destination.  For example, serial links are "full duplex", but we refer to a DS1/T1 as 1.5 Mbps, not 3 Mbps.

Fabric bandwidths, unlike link bandwidths, haven't really commonly settled how their two way bandwidth capacity is defined.  Cisco describes their fabrics with two way bandwidths, Juniper seems to be trying to make this clear by providing half and full duplex for the same fabric/slot (although it may actually make it even more confusing).

Even Cisco isn't 100% consistent.  If you research the bandwidth of a 6500's "classic bus", you'll mostly find it as 32 Gbps, but you'll find some references as 16 Gbps.  I believe they're one in the same, but the former is the "duplex", bi-directional, bandwidth, and the latter is "half-duplex", or source to destination, bandwidth.

Original 3750 stack ring bandwidth is described as 32 Gbps, but I believe it's only 8 Gbps from source to destination (dual 8 Gbps full duplex stack ports.)  Also, if you only have a stack with one ring port, Cisco describes the ring as half-duplex, and 16 Gbps.  (On the 3750s, it's possible all ring traffic is unidirectional on one ring port at 16 Gbps, and so only if both stack ports are connected do you have bidirectional bandwidth.  As the original 3750 10g model was noted it only supported 8 Gbps throughput, an ASIC [?] limitation, I suspect each stack ring ports is 8 Gbps, bidirectional.)

Hope the last two paragraphs haven't confused futher.  What you might do is contact Juniper for clarification of their specifications.

Thanks Joseph

I will try to contact Juniper for more clarifications and surely will let you know If I received a reply

May you please check also this question

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2205154

Appreciate your assistance

Regards

Sherif Ismail

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card