cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Asynchornous Routing

rajneesh.das
Level 1
Level 1

I need to connect two asynchornous devices on two separate routers over WAN IP link. The asynchornous devices are Remote terminal units having just TX, RX & GND. Moreover these devices doesnt support IP or X.25. I need to make an communication happen over an IP link. Can anyone help me out.

P.S : Using BSTUN can this be done. Any prerequisites for this.

8 Replies 8

a.awan
Level 4
Level 4

It sounds as if you are trying to tunnel asynchronous data. Try the configuration provided in the following link and it should work for you provided you are dealing with standard asynchronous communication:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080160c4d.shtml

Thanks buddy but I am at dead end as I have only two cisco routers at both end & I cant go ahead for any other hardware. The async devices needs to be connected on the serial ports (WIC-2T) cards on both routers without an IP & then travel over an IP Link. Does any generic or standard async communciation work on BSTUN ?

What makes you think the link i sent required you to have any additional hardware? The commservers shown in the link are actually cisco routers connecting to the async terminals. What are these async devices you have?

One one end teh async device is a Remote Terminal Units (RTU) used for polling data & being used for SCADA systems. The other async device is a PC using its COM port. Both these devices uses three pins. TX, RX & GND only. The RTU is a DTE device , asynchronous mode, 8N1.

If you have the right cables to connect these async devices to the routers then i believe you should be able to use the tunneling configuration.

I there any configuratuion to be done on the serial interfaces. As I would be terminating the async devices on WIC-2T cards at both ends. What configuration would be there on the interface end ?

I have personally not used the WIC-2T for async communication but i believe when you configure it with the physical-layer async command it will provide you with a teminal line under which you will configure all the require commands as shown in the previous link. So you will just have to find out which line to configure and then type in line and take it from there.

Okay thanks buddy. Will configure it accordingly & let U know the developments.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card