Views
Helpful
Replies

aux port

fbadr
Level 1
Level 1

Dear netpros

anyway to access the router through aux port?

my problem is : when i tried to access the router through the console ,i cant type any character and as the router is empty , telnet wont be a solution

please help

tks

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The real answer to whether you can access the router through the aux port is "it depends".

If the router does a normal boot, has a config file it can read and process, and the config file does not disable the exec on the aux port, then you should be able to access the router via the aux port.

If this router is empty as you say it is, then probably it is booting and is prompting to the console port for configuration parameters. In that state you will not be able to access the router via the aux port.

Tell us a little about what is happening with the console port. When the router boots is there any output that appears on the console? (There should be output to the console.) If there is no output to the console or if the output to the console is garbage characters, then it is likely that the console speed setting is different from what you have specified in your terminal emulator.

The router console port does not implement flow control. I have seen situations where flow control on the terminal emulator interferred with entering commands on the console. So in addition to checking the speed setting of your terminal emulator I suggest that you also check for flow control.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick