Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup Router not working!

Hello group,

Can you guys help me out?

If got a 3725 router connecting our head office to our branches via ISDN. It has dialer interfaces for each branch and static routes configured for all branches.

There are 2 serial cables going into the back that carry 30 lines each.

Now, for backup, I've configured a 3620 router (our old one) with the config of the 3725. I upgraded the flsh memory on the 3620 to accomodate the IOS and the new config.

All seemed to be ok, but I just tried to test it. I simply swapped over the two serial cables, put them into the backup router, then swapped over the ethernet cables. The LAN pinged ok, but, I couldn't ping the branch routers. I left it on for quite a while, but but just didn't happen.

Maybe i'm missing something obvious here. But, the config id identical to the working 3725, I thought by swapping over the 3 cables all be well, but it wasn't!

Help?!?!

George

1 Reply 1

Hello George,

when you connect the cables to the 3620 router, are your interfaces in up/up status ? The problem might be that your remote sites are still trying to route to the 3725, can you try and clear all interfaces before swapping the cables ? Also, do you have a dialer idle-timeout configured ? If so, can you set it to the lowest possible value (which is 1) on both sides and try to swap the cables again ?

Which IOS version are you running on the 3620 ? Can you also post the configuration of the 3620 ?

Regards,

Georg

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card