cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic 1000BaseSX GBIC compatibility question

joshbrooks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Does anyone know if a 3548XL will play nice with a Linksys EF3124 (w/EF31SC 100BaseFX module) via a 1000BaseSX GBIC over fiber? The idea is to do away with a cheapo switch being used as a repeater in a 400+ ft. Cat 5 pull, and maybe pick up a little performance. Speaking of fiber, anyone have any words of wisdom is pulling fiber through conduit occupied by Cat 5? I apologize for the "simpleness" of my question(s) - I'm learning. ;^)

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

No, it won't.

100Base and Gig protocols are completely different and will not automatically adjust.

Regarding pulling the fiber; if the conduit is reasonably full (reasonably full for a 3/4" pipe is two strands of Cat-rated UTP), you'll have a hard time pulling terminated fiber.

If the fiber is un-terminated, it probably won't be a problem (recommended: use "In the wall" type fiber - it's round and uses kevlar (or similar) material as a strength member to prevent stretching (and breaking) the glass. If you try to use "zip cord," especially terminated Zip cord, your chances of success are significantly reduced ... ).

Zip cord (jumper cordage) has no real strength member, and if you pull with too much force, the jacketing will stretch, and the glass will break.

You may want to investigate a wireless bridge solution.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

No, it won't.

100Base and Gig protocols are completely different and will not automatically adjust.

Regarding pulling the fiber; if the conduit is reasonably full (reasonably full for a 3/4" pipe is two strands of Cat-rated UTP), you'll have a hard time pulling terminated fiber.

If the fiber is un-terminated, it probably won't be a problem (recommended: use "In the wall" type fiber - it's round and uses kevlar (or similar) material as a strength member to prevent stretching (and breaking) the glass. If you try to use "zip cord," especially terminated Zip cord, your chances of success are significantly reduced ... ).

Zip cord (jumper cordage) has no real strength member, and if you pull with too much force, the jacketing will stretch, and the glass will break.

You may want to investigate a wireless bridge solution.

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks much, Scott. I'll explore other options.

-Josh-

Another option that comes to mind is a media converter. If you used something like a 100BASE copper-to-fiber (100BASE-FX), then you could drive the distance over fiber ... it wouldn't be GigE, but would still be a reasonably priced, relatively high bandwidth solution.

Good Luck, thanks for the rating!

Scott