cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

basic config question

cro9uk
Level 1
Level 1

hi, i have set up a cisco 2611xm router with basic config (passwords for secret, con 0, vty 0 4,) when i go in through the console port i am prompted for the con password and then to enter priviledged exec mode i have to enter the secret password. All is as it should be until i go in via telnet, i am prompted for the vty password but upon entering this it takes me directly into privelidged exec mode bypassing the secret password prompt. What am i missing? i use this config on the cisco switches without any probs.

please help!!

5 Replies 5

Hello,

what does your VTY configuration look like ? It should be this:

enable password cisco

!

line vty 0 4

password cisco

login

Regards,

Georg

I am not in front of it but i am pretty sure that this is the config i put in. i did try putting the login then the password but got an error saying that i had to put the password in first, this was done. Like i say, the vty password works i just want to be prompted for the enable secret password once in, but it just takes me into privelidged exec. I read on cisco tonight about the enable secret level command, could this be it? if i enter enable secret level 15 then the password maybe this will work, dunno, i'm scratching my head.

sorted this, in IOS 12.3 there are privelige levels on passwords. I had to type:

line vty 0 4

privelige level 1

password xxxxxx

login

just in case anyone else has the same problem.

Hi cro9uk,

Did you use the same pwd for the vty and enable?

R/S

Dave

sorry dave, just seen the post. No i did not use the same passwords. I used the same password for vty as con 0.this being the first prompt when accessing the router via the console port. I only used the enable secret password after that