cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot image 7206

ymitikou-328
Level 1
Level 1

Where can I get memory and flash requirements for a boot image that I plan to load on a 7206VXR? The image I am planning to install is c7200-kboot-mz.123-9e.bin but the IOS upgrade planner shows "0" for minimum memory and flash required. Can anyone point me to the requirements for this image? Also, the release notes for 12.3.9e do not explicitly state that this boot image is required when upgrading the system image. Is it best to upgrade the boot image to match the system image?

1 Reply 1

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The reason that the upgrade planner shows 0 for minimum memory and flash, is because bootloader images will all run with even the least possible amount of memory and flash. Boot loader images are extremely limited in functionality, and are simply meant to help load the IOS image as well as a fallback mechanism if the IOS image is missing or corrupt so that you can at least have IP connectivity to a TFTP server to load a valid image.

Also, it is generally a good idea to have a boot image match the system image, but it's not absolutely necessary by any means.

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card