cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging Appletalk

rvillagran
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of 6506 (12.2(18)SXF4)with vlans in HSRP, and want to bridge the protocol Appletalk in 2 of it, i thougt that the way to do it is to create a bridge group and put both vlans in it. The only command that i found is "bridge 1 bridge appletalk" but when apply it it say that "Spanning Tree protocol for Bridge Group 1 has not been configured", any idea of this issue???

thanx in advance

Rodrigo

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rodrigo

I am not entirely sure of the issue. But I suspect the issue is that you have not configured bridge 1 protocol ieee. Try adding that to the config and then see if it will accept bridge 1 bridge appletalk.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

thanx for the reply, but the command bridge 1 protocol ieee dosen't seems to be in the IOS that i been using, in other plataforms/IOS i applied that command and everithing goes perfect, but this one dont let me do it.

Rodrigo

Hi Rodrigo,

Try vlan-bridge as a protocol.

Regards,

Francois

Hi Francois,

the truth is that i've found that command already, but i think that make all the traffic between vlan been bridged. Since one Vlan is the Server Vlan , and the other its the User Vlan, and i have only 4 Apple machine that need the Appletalk protocol so dont want get both vlan completely bridged, i want to bridge only the appletalk protocol.

anyway thanks for your help, i hope that someone could show me the light at the end of the tunnel... :D

Greetings

Rodrigo

vlan-bridge is bridging non-routable traffic, as you should be well aware IP are routable and those will not be bridged.

Inter-VLAN bridging is the concept of simultaneously bridging multiple VLANs together. Inter-VLAN bridging is occasionally needed in order to bridge non-routable protocols or unsupported routed protocols between multiple VLANs. There are several topology considerations and limitations that must be addressed before you configure inter-VLAN bridging. This document covers these considerations and recommends configuration workarounds.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/inter-vlan_11072.html

Fallback brdiging will be processed in s/w. In addition, Cat6000 with MSFC supports Appletalk routing, you might want to router them instead.

Please rate helpful posts.