cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcasts not being forwarded between subnets

grandezd
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having problems trying to print from Workstations on subnet 192.168.0.0/24 to a printer on a different subnet 208.94.207.160/27. The printer is attached to a Linksys wireless print server (208.94.207.180). Both subnets are interconnected via a 3640 router. Please see below:

192.168.0.0/24 FA0/1 FA0/0 208.94.207.180

PC-------------3640ROUTER---AP-))((-PrintSvr--Printer

Note: The Printer and Wireless Print Server work fine when used by workstations on the same subnet (208.94.207.160/24)

The print server Driver installed on workstations sends broadcasts to locate the Print Server. This can be seen from the following transaction information captured with a sniffer:

PACKET SENT FROM WORKSTATION BY PRINT SERVER DRIVER:

L2: DESTINATION: FFFF.FFFF.FFFF

SOURCE: <WORKSTATION's MAC>

L3(IP): DESTINATION: 255.255.255.255

SOURCE: 192.168.0.2

L4(UDP):DESTINATION 34444 OR 34333

SOURCE: <DYNAMICALLY ASSIGNED>

A Workstation on subnet 192 does not receive a reply from the Print Server, whereas a Workstation on 208 subnet does.

This is totally understandable since a router by default separates broadcast domains.

So, I tried adding "ip helper-address" and "ip broadcast-address" commands, but same difference: broadcasts are not being forwarded.

I have attached a simplified version of the router config. Could someone please shed some light on this? Your support will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dbellazetin
Level 4
Level 4

David,

ip helper-address only forwards a few common broadcast UDP ports by default. You need to add to that using the "ip forward-protocol" command in global configuration. Just specify the UDP port number that is in your sniffer capture and that should probably solve this problem for you.

Daniel

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dbellazetin
Level 4
Level 4

David,

ip helper-address only forwards a few common broadcast UDP ports by default. You need to add to that using the "ip forward-protocol" command in global configuration. Just specify the UDP port number that is in your sniffer capture and that should probably solve this problem for you.

Daniel

Daniel,

Many thanks for the advice. It worked!

David

P.S: Is there a command that I can use to see what ports are being forwarded by default?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card