cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cat2950's switching voice and data traffic on common lan

dialink-ir
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, I'm pretty new at this. We've got a lan with 10 2950 switches daisy-chained together. On this lan we've got both voip and data traffic. Currently, we do not have any type of prioritization or QoS on these switches. For the most part everything is fine; however, as we're increasing our voip traffic, we're getting some complaints from customers of "cutting in and out".

Would the easiest way to begin managing this traffic be setting up two vlans. One for the switchports with the data servers and the other for switchports with voice servers? If so, how would I prioritize one vlan over the other.

This is probably a trivial request, but our voip business is growing faster than my IOS knowledge--which is both good and bad.

Thanks,

Vince

2 Replies 2

preddyi
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

If your VOIP application source and destination is at a single location having VLANS seperating data and Voice traffic will be a good idea.

If the VOIP source and destinations are spanned across wan segments you need prioritize the traffic over WAN links also(WAN routers).

simply prioritizing the VOIP traffic over other traffic in the switches will be good way in the long run.

Also since you said 10 no's of 2950 are daisy-chained, if possible to break the chain and make small sigments or possiblly connect to a aggregation switch in star topology ( all 2950's uplinked to a higher end aggregation or core switch)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card