cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 2950 work as a hub

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I would like to configure this switch to work like a hub. what I want to do is conncet this switch to another switch and expant my network by 23 ports. I want to be able to connect it and get the dhcp and internet access. what I am getting is nothing. I am not able to get an IP from my dhcp server. but when I connect to the first switch I am able to get an IP.

What can I do to this switch so I am able to get IP traffic. note I have reset this switch to factory default.

Any help will help. Note to act like a hub.

thank you

johnfon

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

assign an ip address to vlan 1 on both the switches.

let it be of the same range as the dhcp server.

connect the switches using an access link in vlan 1

the pc's bootp request will be a broadcast. hence it will go from one switch to another and then to the dhcp server

this will work

also the closest of making the switch work as a hub is to reduce the mac address ageing time to the minimum allowed possible.

switch :-)

Hi,

switch will never work like a hub.

But if you need to extend your network, the easiest way it to take a new switch from the box (factory default) and connect it to you current network via a cross UTP cable.

Check that LEDs on both sides of the cable are green.

Everything should be working then, PCs should get their addresses from your DHCP server and be ablo to connect to the Internet..

Configuring int VLAN1, etc., just helps you to manage the switch, but has no impact to user data switching.

Regrads,

Milan

nitemite
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Johnfon-

Assuming that you haven’t already figured out your problem.

There are a few things missing from your post. One being the basic topology of your network. For starters assuming that your original network switch is a 2950 and it has some way to already communicate to the DHCP server/internet proxy server, etc. You will need to configure a free switch port on both the existing 2950 and the 2950 you want to add.

You will need to configure both ports to communicate back and forth, assuming both switches have 24 ports, for brevity the command line syntax is abbreviated and I also used (24) ports in this example,could be (48),(12) which ever you have. I just prefer matching near the end of the switch for cosmetic values.

Configuration Example:

Existing Switch#config t

Existing Switch(config)# int fa0/24

Existing Switch(config-if)#switchport access vlan1

Existing Switch(config-if)#speed auto

Existing Switch(config-if)#exit

Existing Switch(config)# exit

Existing Switch#wr

Press

Note: You want to do the same thing on both switches so that they both can communicate. Vlan1 is a management Vlan by default.

Best Success-

Don Patterson

Network Analyst

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Also on the new user 2950 make sure you enter the "switchport host" command for all user interfaces which turns on spanning tree portfast and shuts off trunking and channeling for those ports , if you don't do this it is very likely they will timeout waiting for spanning tree to go thru it's cycle and will never pull an address . You don't want to be hub anyway , hubs are shared media where switch ports have their own dedicated bandwidth , you should be able to use this switch without a problem . just set up the new switch the same as the old switch and run a crossover between them and make sure you turn on portfast , this should work .