Views
Helpful
Replies

cdp neighbors

giacomo12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using PC1 and connect it to a router (R3) by Telnet. From my PC1 I can see the R3s'CLI and I type the following command:

R3# show cdp neighbors detail

I see the following output:  

Device ID: S4

Entry address(es):

IP address : y.y.y.y

Platform: xxxxxx, Capabilities: Switch

Interface: GigabitEthernet0/0.5, Port ID (outgoing port): FastEthernet0/5

Holdtime: 177

My question is : Is the ip address : y.y.y.y the ip address of the virtual interface (GigabitEthernet0/0.5) or is the ip address of the phisical interface (Port ID (outgoing port): FastEthernet0/5) ?

Giacomo

2 Replies 2

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Feedback forum is dedicated to other topics. You should ask in apropriate forum instead. I will move it.

2. Interface is the interface of R3 device where the CDP information in question has been received. Port ID is the identification of remote interface the CDP info is related to. IP address is the address reported by remote device. But I'm surprised you are asking it here. If you can do "show cdp neighbors detail" then you can show IP address of R3's Gi0/0.5 interface and compare it to the IP shown in cdp neighbor detail. You can found the answer by self and it's so easy to do it ...

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello ,

To add to Dan's comment.

Ip address is the list of neighbouring devices and the interface is of current device where cdp is running.

Have a look on the below link for more useful information.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/command/reference/ffun_r/frf015.html#wp1019534

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card