Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 and HWIC-4ESW

jmerchut
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have problem/questions with cisco 1841 with adsl wic and HWIC-4ESW. Router is a CE router in IP VPN network. ADSL is a WAN link to PE router , first Eth is to connect different router.

Client wants to connect three PCs and his own LAN network to the router. So, I have one onboard routed FE (to LAN network) and 4 switched ports on HWIC.

Is it possible to simply connect onboard Eth port to LAN customer switch (assigne IP address to this port etc.) and connect three PCs to HWIC ports? Do the PCs get access to customer LAN network trough onboard Eth port? Do the PCs get access to IP VPN network trough ADSL link? What have to be configured to make this scenarion working?

Regards,

JM

2 Replies 2

farkascsgy
Level 4
Level 4

You can do this.

Create a new VLAN for the three PC on your router assign to the proper ports and then you can reach the LAN and VPN also, since they are connected ports.

Connect the LAN uplink to the onboard Eth and assign an IP to the interface.

add vlan to the VLAN database:

(config)#vlan database

(vlan)#vlan 50 name VLANname

(vlan)#exit

interface vlan 50

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

no shutdown

interface range fastethernet 0/1/0 - 2

switchport access vlan 50

no shutdown

Also for VLAN 50 you need DHCP or for this three PC static IP more prefered...

You should work with VLANS when you use HWIC card.

Bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Thank you for your message. Tell me if I undersood well.

Lets say client has 192.168.0.0 network address in his LAN - I assigne 192.168.0.1 IP address on the Fe1 interface (onboard Eth interface - default gateway).

Is it somehow possible to use 192.168.0.2-4 IP addresses for these 3 PCs? Or 3 PCs have to be on the different IP subnet - let say 192.168.1.0 and communication between these 3 PCs and rest of the client LAN would be done through routing process (VLAN interface <-> Fe1 interface)? Can we somehowe skip the routing process between these Eth ports (onboard Fe1 and on the HWIC Fe2-5 ports)?

Bye

JM