Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2514 router - No console

wayne.leung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

Last week after I succesfully upgraded the flash from 8MB to 16MB (for IOS upgrade reasons) and also succeeded in upgrading the IOS. Afterward I didn't put in a new configuration and just left it alone. Last night I tried to fire it up for my CCIE lab but didn't get anything on my hyperterminal when I consoled it. I thought my console cable went bad and changed to a different one. Nothing changed. Still nothing on screen. I thought it may be my computer so I used my laptop and still nothing. I went as far as changing the settings on hyperterminal and put the speed down from 9600 to 4800 and 2400. Nothing changed. Then i noticed that the led light next to the power button was off. I checked it with my other good 2514 router and realized that it should stay on if it was working. I powered off and tried it again this morning and it worked for like 2 hours. All this time while it worked the led light next to the power button at the back stayed on. As soon as the output to the hyperterminal went blank the light just went off. Does anyone know if I have a powersupply or resistor issue on the board? Sadly but could the truth be that I burned out my board on the 2514 router ? Please advise.

2 Replies 2

Hello Wayne,

it sounds indeed like you are having a problem with the power supply. This is, AFAIK, a known problem for the 2500 series - the power supplies tend to break. You might want to try and replace the power cable first. There is also a chance that your router shuts down because the fan is not working properly. I would open the chassis, turn on the router, and then check what happens to the fan when the router shuts down.

Also, have a look at this document:

Cisco 2500 Series Hardware Installation and Maintenance

Troubleshooting the Hardware Configuration

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_maintenance_guide_chapter09186a008014b47c.html

If the conclusion is that it is actually the power supply that is faulty, check on Ebay for replacements, they should not cost you more than $20.

HTH,

GP

Hi GP,

Thanks for your response. This is an interesting case where the problem goes on and off.Right now I just powered on the router and got it up and running and there is just no indication of bad memory as I couldn't see any error messages or logs. The power light stayed on and the fan is working. Even during the time when I had problems in consoling it in, the fan is still working and that I can plug in a transceiver and get it will get powered on. Nonetheless I will review the above link and check it out. Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card