Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO 2600 IOS UPGRADE

r.kate
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have got a Cisco 2600 router whose IOS I want to upgrade .I want to do this in quickest possible time and also to revert back to previous IOS just in case the new one falls flat .

Any help appreciated .

Thanks

Raj

3 Replies 3

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

1. look at name of current ios image using commnad show flash, you will see something like this --

System flash directory:

File Length Name/status

1 14116352 c2600-is-mz.122-11.T9.bin

[14116416 bytes used, 2136512 available, 16252928 total]

16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

--------

c2600-is-mz.122-11.T9.bin is name of your current image

2. Copy this on you TFTP server (if you havent try tftp server from solarwinds its free and good)

using commnad copy flash tftp, you will be asked for name of image, ip of tftp...folow the instruction So you have backup of current image

3. place image of new IOS into tftp server directory

and type on router

copy tftp flash

and again follow the instruction, sometimes you must erase old contain of flash (when you havent enough space) some IOS erase it before copying from tftp

4. reload router and type sh ver and you will see new IOS

IS ALL

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

this depends on the code you want to upgrade to and the amount of flash on your box .

If you have 2 separate simms flash the same size what you can do is partition the flash, you can do it without partitioning the flash but this is the cleanest way.

partitiion flash 2 8 8 ( this would be for 16MB of flash )

partition flash 2 16 16 (32MB flash)

what you do after you have your flash partitioned is to put boot statements in the router

boot system flash1:newimagename.bin

boot system flash2:oldimagename.bin

boot system flash:

this will have the router load the image in partition 1 first , then if that fails look in partition 2 next , if that fails load the first image it finds, the third statements is kind of a last resort.

jlinds
Level 1
Level 1

Use cisco tftp server software. First do a copy from flash to the tftp sever that will save your old IOS. Then do a copy tftp to flash wtih the new IOS