ATTENTION: We are currently working an issue with posting. Thank you for your patience while we work on a resolution.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3560 switch console port problem

Ogab2hcir
Level 1
Level 1

I've been working with a Cisco 3560 switch and I'm unable to use the console port to configure the switch. I'm using a rollover console cable (Blue) and using both hyperterminal and Putty. Settings 9600, 8, 1, none. I can read output from the switch POST, but aftere it finishes I'm unable to type. I have changed Baud rate, stop bits, and flow control settings but still have the same problem. I have tested the cable and tried a differant computer with the same results. I can only beleive that the console port has gone bad or if possible it's being blocked. The switch doesn't have an ip configured on it as I reset the nvram holding the mode button. I can get into ronmon but can't type in hyperterminal or putty. Any ideas what causing the problem? I don't believe there is another way of configuring the switch without haveing an ip configured on it. If its a bad console port (hardware) then thats ok I will send it in for repairts, but just wanted to confirm with anyone else to see if its something I'm misssing. I have worked with many Cisco 3560 in the past and this is the first time I have had a console port that doesn't function correctly.

1 Reply 1

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

I had this same problem on a 6500 one time. The console port failed in a way that rendered it unable to receive any input. I wound up having to RMA the sup back to Cisco. I know that that is probably not the answer you were hoping for but it is most likely what needs to happen here.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card