cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 feeding an unmanaged switch mac address violation

NewToAllThis
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 3850 access switch feeding a GS305P netgear unmanaged switch.  The GS305P has 4 cisco IP phones connected and then the users' computers connected to ethernet through each of the IP phones.  So in theory, 4 phones + 4 PC + GS305P = 9 mac addresses.  I'm receiving the below error constantly:

%PORT_SECURITY-2-PSECURE_VIOLATION: Security violation occurred, caused by MAC address

This is the configuration for the port on the 3850:

switchport access vlan 105
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 108
switchport port-security maximum 10
switchport port-security
spanning-tree portfast

I have tried "no switchport port-security" but it doesn't appear to do anything.  As seen below, port security is still enabled, and the maximum mac address only shows 3.

switch(config-if)#no switchport port-security
switch(config-if)#do show port-security int gi1/0/47
Port Security : Enabled
Port Status : Secure-up
Violation Mode : Restrict
Aging Time : 2 mins
Aging Type : Inactivity
SecureStatic Address Aging : Disabled
Maximum MAC Addresses : 3
Total MAC Addresses : 3
Configured MAC Addresses : 0
Sticky MAC Addresses : 0
Last Source Address:Vlan : xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx
Security Violation Count : 1184

My goal is to either disable port security on the port, or just for the port to allow like 10 mac addresses.

Any help is appreciated!

15 Replies 15

It sounds to me like there is some global setting on the switch that makes enabling port security on every interface the default behavior. I appreciate the reluctance to post the entire running config (but wish it were possible so that we could do our own inspection). Perhaps the output of show run | include ecurity might give us a hint?

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card