cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco router with AC or DC power

monish_akatrai
Level 1
Level 1

What are the advantages or disadvantages of using AC or DC power for router? Cisco provides routers with both configurations, but in what scenarios can I use AC power or DC power. Also, I have 2911 router with DC power input can I connect the router directly to the battery of my UPS. In this case then I won't require as separate AC to DC power supply.

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Perhaps the biggest advantage of an AC or DC capable router is; you can use whichever is available where you want to install a router.  BTW, some platforms actually allow using both at the same time.

One common advantage of AC, it usually supports higher wattage.

Can you connect your DC powered 2911 directly to your UPS battery?  Well if the UPS battery provides 24 to 60 VDC, and it can support the necessary amperage, I would think it should work.