Views
Helpful
Replies

Cleanup the unused ACL

Yiwei
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

Our company has so many ACL in the edge router.  When I run "show access-lists", I found some ACL include the number of the hit count in the end(61234 matches) and some do not. So the ACL does not include the hit count is unused ACL?

Can I delete it?

Thanks,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes correct, they are the redundant rule. better take a backup config. clean up few rules at a time, so any issue you can put them back, ( i know it does not make any sense, but this what happened real world.)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Yiwei ,

Each time a packet matches a line in your ACL, the match counter increases by one.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/6505

Eliminating a line from an ACL or even an entire ACL is a topic that must be studied in depth, as it can have negative consequences on your network.

For example, there are ACLs that are used for NAT or for VPN.

I suggest you make a recision of your ACLs to determine the function of each one and thus be able to decide if you can eliminate one.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes correct, they are the redundant rule. better take a backup config. clean up few rules at a time, so any issue you can put them back, ( i know it does not make any sense, but this what happened real world.)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Yiwei ,

Each time a packet matches a line in your ACL, the match counter increases by one.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/6505

Eliminating a line from an ACL or even an entire ACL is a topic that must be studied in depth, as it can have negative consequences on your network.

For example, there are ACLs that are used for NAT or for VPN.

I suggest you make a recision of your ACLs to determine the function of each one and thus be able to decide if you can eliminate one.

Regards