Replies

Configuration of OSPF help.

johnleeee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Id like to consult some problems involved with

OSPF protocol.

We have some routers connected together (one segment) and configured with OSPF protocol. Everything works fine after time when we upgrade IOS from 12.2.28 to 12.3...

After upgrade of IOS router upgraded to new IOS version stops communicate corectly with other routers. So when I make show ip ospf nei. I see that this router has another DR and BDR has not.

But only upgrade of IOS was made nothing more .

So could someone help me if there is problem related to OSPF with 12.3 release image? Why this works with latest 12.2 IOS and with 12.3. doesnt.

thanks a lot in advance

rg

jl

6 Replies 6

Hello,

what does your OSPF topology look like ?

Regards,

GP

Hello ,

topology is very easy. One ethernet (broadcast)

segment with some routers connected together and one Win 2000 station which we want to be DR or BDR on that segment. Everything works fine with IOS ver. 12.2, but doesnt work with 12.3. What is problem that router stays in INIT state when communicates with Win2000 server (router runs 12.3 image) but when

I use 12.2. image router goes to FULL state and everuthing is fine.

Configuration is very easy. only ospf is on

and network is configured with related segment network address and router-id is configured on routers and Win2000 serv. to plan DR and BDR.

any suggestion

jl

Hello johnleeee,

I would like to ask you if you find out solution because I have got the same problem. I have one windows 2003 server with RRAS service installed and one Cat4500 L3 switche. If I enable ospf the routers stay in INIT and in the event-viewer of win2k3 i see a OSPF packet problem regarding the lenght of data in OSPF header was 44 but actual lenght counted from IP header is 56. OSPF timers are set in default for broadcast network and match on both routers.

For ospf to work with the win2k implementation you will have to configure the "no capability lls" under router ospf on the cisco side.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello hritter,

Thank you very much for your support. It's the ios command i was looking for. Again thank's

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LLS has been implemented in 12.2T, so it is present in 12.3. I have seen LLS backward compatibility issues between certain IOS versions. Try disabling LLS on the 12.3 router by using the "no capability lls" under router ospf and see if it fixes the issue.

You do not need LLS unless you use NSF on this router.

For more information on LLS, refer to the following IETF draft:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nguyen-ospf-lls-05.txt

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez