Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure WAN with VLAN subinterface + QoS on Cisco RV340W Routers

jbericat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I’m trying to set-up one of my WAN pppoe broadband connections (FTTH) into my new RV340W Router, but I can’t figure out how to establish the custom VLAN+QoS requirements for this particular ISP. More precisely, I need to tag my upstream traffic as in the screenshot below- that is; frames must be tagged with a VLAN ID = 24, as well as a QoS priority PRI = 3:

Bridge_capture_H500s.png

However, even though I’ve been able to set the pppoe connection successfully on my RV340W, as well as I’ve been able to create the WAN1 subinterface for the required VLAN tagging (WAN1.24), I’m not able to set the PRI 802.1q frame field as it is required (PRI = 3). As a result, I do get connectivity, and approximately an 80% of the downstream capacity of that link (100Mb), but I only do obtain 1Mb/s of the upstream bandwidth (the FTTH link is symmetric):

RV340W pppoe upstream bandwidth.png

In that scenario, the frames captured using a Wireshark bridge installed between the Router and the FTTH ONT device are as seen in the next screenshot- notice that the value of the field PRI is equal to 0:

Bridge_capture_RV340W.png

Since I wasn’t totally sure if the root issue was the wrong PRI field tagging (the ISP itself was not helping very much), I did set-up a pppoe client in my Linux laptop (Ubuntu 20.04LTS), just connecting it directly to the ONT and using these commands:

# First, we need to install the pppoeconfig package:

sudo apt-get install pppoeconfig

# Now we create the virtual interface with the VLAN and QoS settings required by the ISP (I don't know if I really have to add all the skb:pri mappings in the egress section, it just works this way).

sudo ip link add link enx00e04c154452 name vlan24 type vlan id 24 egress 0:3 1:3 2:3 3:3
sudo ip link set vlan24 up

# To establish the pppoe connection:

sudo configpppoe vlan24

# Once the configpppoe has been already launched once, we can start the client this way:

sudo pon dsl-provider

# We can see the connection status like this:

plog

# To end the connection

poff

The result was as I thought: Almost total downstream bandwidth (94 Mb/s) & total upstream bandwidth (103 Mb/s).

Linux pppoe client bandwidth.png

Now my question is; does anyone know which setting should I set in the QoS section on the Cisco RV340W Router, so I can replicate there the very same pppoe connection scenario I created on my Linux laptop?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

Jordi B.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

No, unfortunately for some reason, on any of the RV34x/RV260/RV160 routers, the vlan-priority (vlan-pcp/cos) bits/value cannot be set on the wan-vlan-subinterface

Although i think the FTTH-ONT is configured in bridge-mode (to allow you to confgure/use pppoe wan-interface on the RV34X router), is there additional setting on the ONT itself that "marks" all outbound vlan24 frames with the vlan-priority-value X as required by ISP?

- Generally its quite strange as to how would the ISP expect that ALL routers that connect to their ONT will have the capability to not only configure a tagged-vlan24 interface but also set the Priority-bits....????

- I would think that once the ISP receives a vlan24 tagged frame on your link, they would be doing the required marking of priority in their network (or on ONT, etc) before they forward the frames/packets further???

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

No, unfortunately for some reason, on any of the RV34x/RV260/RV160 routers, the vlan-priority (vlan-pcp/cos) bits/value cannot be set on the wan-vlan-subinterface

Although i think the FTTH-ONT is configured in bridge-mode (to allow you to confgure/use pppoe wan-interface on the RV34X router), is there additional setting on the ONT itself that "marks" all outbound vlan24 frames with the vlan-priority-value X as required by ISP?

- Generally its quite strange as to how would the ISP expect that ALL routers that connect to their ONT will have the capability to not only configure a tagged-vlan24 interface but also set the Priority-bits....????

- I would think that once the ISP receives a vlan24 tagged frame on your link, they would be doing the required marking of priority in their network (or on ONT, etc) before they forward the frames/packets further???

Hello @nagrajk1969, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer me.

@nagrajk1969 wrote:

Hi

No, to my knowledge the ONT is a totally transparent bridge (I know that because the first time I attempted to set up the pppoe client on my Linux laptop without tagging the egress frames with the appropiate vlan PRI, the result was the same as using the RV340W). However, this gives me one idea: I just might have to replace the ONT for one which would allow vlan tagging on the igress ethernet interface. Another solution would be to add a raspberry pi bridge between the RV340W and the ONT in order properly tag the frames, but I find the idea of replacing the ONT way more elegant than adding more points of failure to the network...

@nagrajk1969 wrote:

That is because they provide the router themselves. The point here is that, if I want the WAN redundancy to properly work, the pppoe connection must be managed by the RV340W. There are other reasons for me wanting to remove the original router provided by the ISP from the network, though.

That's what I thought at the beginning, but all the trials I did connected directly to the ONT lead me to conclude the opposite, unfortunately. Afterwards, I did read on a local forum that this particular ISP normally require the VLAN+PRI tagging.

@nagrajk1969., I will mark your answer as the correct one, since it gives a solution to my original question. Thanks a lot again.

Cheers,

Jordi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: