Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring the same DHCP into two-HSRP (Multigroup) router

mscaiola
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm configuring two Cisco 1760 to work in HSRP-load sharing mode.

They're two Multigroup-HSRP routers, the first one is the ACTIVE for the first group while the second one is the STANDBY for the first group, and viceversa

for the second group.

My network is a single subnet with a single DHCP pool of IP addresses, I'd like to configure the DHCP pool on both routers, could be problems assigning the addresses to the clients ?

I don't want to divide the IP pool and obtain two separate pools.

regards,

Maurizio

1 Reply 1

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Are you planning to configure DHCP server services on both routers?

Until DHCP servers can use a protocol that lets them communicate what addresses they're leasing out and to whom, it is generally advisable to have non-overlapping address pools on redundant DHCP servers for a given LAN. This is necessary to avoid duplicate IP addresses; that is, two separate DHCP clients receiving the same IP address from two different DHCP servers.

If you really want to configure the same pool of addresses on each router, you could then control what addresses were handed out by which router, by excluding IP addresses on each router. For example, if my pool has addresses xx.xx.xx.16 through xx.xx.xx.31, then I could exclude addresses .24 through .31 on the first router, and exclude addresses .16 through .23 on the second. One pool, with two non-overlapping subsets of addresses to be handed out.

Hope this helps.