Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

default route to isp internet

Hi there

I have 2 routers from the ISP one primary and one backup. both are online. both linked to 4500. I put the static route:

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1 10

my question is is this the best practice? what will happen if the primary has an internet issue but the port is up? how does the cs know when to switch on to the backup link?

Also, is there a way to use both links as load balance? both links are active at the same speed. 100m

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"my question is is this the best practice?"

No, but I would say there isn't a best practice, but it's a common practice.

A better practice might be to also use IPSLA, as also described by @MHM Cisco World .

"what will happen if the primary has an internet issue but the port is up?"

Your Internet traffic is impacted.  Severity depends on what's the Internet issue.  Could even be a "black hole".

"how does the cs know when to switch on to the backup link?"

When primary route path has a physical interface drop.

"Also, is there a way to use both links as load balance?"

Sure, have the two statics routes have same AD value.  Understand this is "static" LB, i.e. really more load sharing then true LB, but that's true for most multi path routing.

Also, ECMP, using static routes, alone, has potentially same possibly impactful issues.

The only Cisco technology, of which I'm aware, that well handles Internet "issues" and supports (dynamic) flow LB, even using static routes, is PfR.  Do know, dealing with Internet performance issues, TO you, can be problematic, even with PfR.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

If the first route fails the second will tak over because of a highet metric. If you would like to load balance you will need ECMP with dynamic routing like ospf.

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

"If you would like to load balance you will need ECMP with dynamic routing . . ."

Multiple static routes with same AD?

Usually for this design we use IP sla in primary and high AD in backup

You config high AD for backup but you still need ip sla (for primary) to detect next-hop is it up or down

MHM

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"my question is is this the best practice?"

No, but I would say there isn't a best practice, but it's a common practice.

A better practice might be to also use IPSLA, as also described by @MHM Cisco World .

"what will happen if the primary has an internet issue but the port is up?"

Your Internet traffic is impacted.  Severity depends on what's the Internet issue.  Could even be a "black hole".

When primary route path has a physical interface drop.

"Also, is there a way to use both links as load balance?"

Sure, have the two statics routes have same AD value.  Understand this is "static" LB, i.e. really more load sharing then true LB, but that's true for most multi path routing.

Also, ECMP, using static routes, alone, has potentially same possibly impactful issues.

The only Cisco technology, of which I'm aware, that well handles Internet "issues" and supports (dynamic) flow LB, even using static routes, is PfR.  Do know, dealing with Internet performance issues, TO you, can be problematic, even with PfR.

Appreciate your support guys. very helpful info.

Now I should use IPSLA if I need a better primary/backup solution.

I would ask if the ISP has an internet issue like there is no ping to 8.8.8.8 but the ports are up, will CS switch to backup link?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card