cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default routes with multiple VLANS

e-see
Level 1
Level 1

have a layer 3 switch at the core with four vlans. Layer 3 switch with other network routers running routing protocols (EIGRP and RIP). I have two PIX firewalls with two different Internet connections. I want 2 VLANS to have a default route of connection 1 with a backup route to connection 2 if 1 is down. I want the other 2 VLANS to have a default route to connection 2 with a backup to connection 1 if 2 is down. What's the best way to accomplish this. Can policy routing have 2 routes per policy with different costs. With policy routing, does it know if a route is unreachable? I assume not, it's just a next hop in the policy. Any suggestions? Thanks

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is certainly possible to configure Policy Based Routing so that one pair of VLANs uses one default route and the other pair of VLANs uses a different default route. And to revert to the other default if one fails.

In most versions of IOS there is an issue with PBR about knowing if the next hop is available (especially where the next hop was on Ethernet interfaces). Cisco has recently introduced a new feature of Object Tracking which can be used with PBR to more accurately know if the next hop is available.

I think this is the solution that you need to look at.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

do you have any examples for my posted scenerio? Would be greatly appreciated

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card