cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

design a backbone campus pls suggest

n.sebastian
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking for a right product for the following sepcification can someone help pls..

min 40 no: of Gbs port

min 16 10/100/1000BT port

RPS, Redunt management/ supervisor/switching and routing (L3) module

integrated Layer 4-7 module

min 2 slots free

hardware based layer 2/3/4 switching, MPR L4 based trafic redirection, policy based QOs including prioritization trafic classification on TOS IP precedence etc. Policy based 803.1q Valn port monitoring capabilities to analyze trafic chassis should be 10 Gb ready

Network Mangement software

comprehnensive device management software for all the purposed network device. Enterprise wide management to configure and monitor the devices including Vlans and implimented policy. Network monitoring cablilities. Inventory manangement. Security management. Support for Rmon1/2 and switch monitoring

3 Replies 3

steven-dunn
Level 1
Level 1

The catayst 6500 can do Gig on fibre and coper and has very high port density these days. The new sup 720 will provide non-bloking architecture. You can install redundant sups and route engines, power supplies, etc. It can take a content module to handel you layer 4-7 stuff. it does hardware based switching through ASICs and distributed forwarding. QOS and traffic classification for IP precedence and it has 10G interfaces. It can cater for a build in Network analysis module the only problem is you mentioned 803.1q ? Im pretty sure it won't do that. I will do 802.1q !

Thx..

what management software can we offer?. alos I need to quto for edge switch for theIDF there are about 10 IDF some having about 300+ points and each stack should not have more than 192 ports. is 3550 with the stack kit a beter option or the 4500 with the spu 3/4 each switch should also have RPS. What switch can i propose for the DMZ is there any swith that has any enhanced feature for DMZ.

I would definitly use 6513's for the core and 4500's for the IDF's. As for the DMZ, depending on the size, I would use a small 6500 or 4500.