cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Issues

msmith2419
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network established starting from an ASA 5512 connected to an SG300-10 switch and two interfaces established on the switch that are connected to a VM Server. I enabled DHCP on the ASA but I am unable to get an assigned IP for the VM Server through the switch from the pool specified on the ASA. I thought I needed to set up the switch as a DHCP Relay agent but either way is still not working correctly. I also have DHCP enabled on the management interface, yet that one works. The pool specified on interface 1 sub-interface .1 (the one not working) isn't allowing IPs to be pulled.

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I have a network established starting from an ASA 5512 connected to an SG300-10 switch and two interfaces established on the switch that are connected to a VM Server. I enabled DHCP on the ASA but I am unable to get an assigned IP for the VM Server through the switch from the pool specified on the ASA. I thought I needed to set up the switch as a DHCP Relay agent but either way is still not working correctly. I also have DHCP enabled on the management interface, yet that one works. The pool specified on interface 1 sub-interface .1 (the one not working) isn't allowing IPs to be pulled.

Hi ,

​If ASA is configured with DHCP pools the switch should be relaying DHCP, Is this switch is layer managed ?

Check the below article which give better explanation to enable DHCP relay in sg300.

DHCP Relay SG300

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

My switch is enabled for DHCP relay. The issue is the DHCP pools are not providing an IP address when the pools are specified on VLANs. I applied an ip address to a physical interface of gi0/2 and created the relay for that ip range on the switch and it gave me an ip automatically. Everything that was configured on the subinterface gi0/1.2 was the same as gi0/2 but I cant get a IP from the sub interface.

Hi,

If the ASA is the DHCP server, the clients and the ASA have to be on the same subnet. The ASA cannot service DHCP clients that are behind another  relay. You will need to make sure your clients are connect to the asa or are on the same vlan as the ASA.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card