Views
Helpful
Replies

Dissertation - Proof of Concept Threats

BigP94
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon, 

This is my first time using the Cisco community, however, I am developing multiple network systems within packet tracer. I have been asked to conduct a MITM (Man-in-the-middle) & DDoS (Distributed Denial of Services) attacks as proof of concept.

I was wondering if this is possible? if so, are there any variants that are better to use than others?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers!

2 Replies 2

georgehewittuk1
Level 1
Level 1

Your friend is Kali Linux paired with something like GNS3/EveNG.

Scenarios:

- DHCP Spoofing (MITM) scenario and could forward traffic to the rogue host for analysis before forwarding on to legit router/gateway.

- DDOS on Kali is simple you could mimic a scenario of overloading a Web Service that is exposed on a host over the internet that could a crash/port exhausation like a TCP SYN attack. I've done that to my local broadband router before at home  which had a web service exposed, as it had no protection features like we would see with Cisco kit which often we use control plane policing & protection [CoPP] the router was overwelmed and would not pass any traffic.

BigP94
Level 1
Level 1

@georgehewittuk1 thank you for your proposed solution. 

I have thought about that but after clarifying some more details this must be done inside of packet tracer if at all possible. 

Any Ideas?