Helpful
Replies

dot1dTpLearnedEntryDiscards 1-2 in one second in cat 1900

kuismsu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !

Could you please help me

How severe is the situation if our catalyst 1900 reports 1-2 dot1dTpLearnedEntryDiscards in second ?

Could this be a reason for intermittent problem in printing

of filemaker-services in appletalk ?

Any help will be appreciated,

Best regards,

Susanna

3 Replies 3

stephen.barlow
Level 1
Level 1

dot1dTpLearnedEntryDiscards (counter)

It has to do with Transparent bridge information. This read-only MIB object returns the total number of Forwarding Database entries, which have been or would have been learned, but have been discarded. If this counter is increasing, it indicates that the Forwarding Database is regularly becoming full (Catalyst switches flood packets with unknown destinations). If this counter has a significant value but is not presently increasing, it indicates that the problem has been occurring but is not persistent.

Thank you for your answer.

I would still like to ask. How bad is this kind of situation when that counter increses during business hours. Counter increases by 1-2 discards in one second... Is it possible that endusers will see this behaviour as a poor network connection or intermittent problems ?.

TIA

Best Regards,

Susanna

How many entries are there in the CAM table? I think the 1900 can handle about 8000. If it is that much find out why, or open a case with TAC (may be a bug).

Hope that helps.

Steve