Views
Helpful
Replies

dvmrp/ip pim multicasting issue???

gjstem
Level 1
Level 1

Fellow Engineers,

I have a customer that is setting up a 3com ip phone (NBX) system that uses multicasting for some of its functions. Whats causing me trouble is that the customer has a layer-3 switch directly behind our router that is non-cisco and only runs dvmrp. The ip phones are directly plugged into the layer 3 switch which are in turn connected to the cisco routers that have atm ckts to remote sites. Could someone provide some direction as to how I get my cisco router to interact with the dvmrp device. I did some research on CCO and found that cisco routers do not run DVMRP but are capable of interacting with dvmrp devices. The command "ip dvmrp unicst-routing" looks to be what I need but this is where I'm getting stuck. My final solution needs to be able receive a multicast from the dvmrp enabled device on the lan segment and forward the multicast accross the wan. For he wan interfaces I'm assuming, I'll have the standard ip pim dense or sparse mode configured? How does the router interact with the dvmrp device and if /how does that change the pim configuration?

any help is appreciated

Greg Stemberger

2 Replies 2

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Often times complex troubleshooting issues are best addressed in an interactive session with one of our trained technical assistance engineers. While other forum users may be able to help, it’s often difficult to do so for this type of issue.

To utilize the resources at our Technical Assistance Center, please visit http://www.cisco.com/tac and to open a case with one of our TAC engineers, visit http://www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

wimoody
Level 1
Level 1

Greg,

I'm not sure if this will help much, but try the following:

Global-

!

ip multicast-routing

!

!

access-list 1 permit any