Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 to Ethernet convertor problem

hardik_tankaria
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I hv cisco 2621 router frm its etthernet it's converted into E-1 (T-1 in USA ) then fiber optics again after almost 1200 km it is converted into ethernet frm E-1. but while i m putting real traffic in this link i m getting intermediant drops at the second end. i hv conneted this ethernet convertor to Cisco 2950 switch, in this switch one pc is connected to monitor this link continously. Problem is that the drops not being captured while pinging frm one end pc to other end. but its giving drops after 2950 switch. this switch is L-2 purpose only i.e. no vlans. I hv the que. that whether i should do some addition configuration of the ethernet of my 2621 router bcoz this is travelling to some 1200 km.

Pls suggest. ur quick response will help me very much.

Thanks,

Hardik..

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Are you getting drops only trying with ICMP traffic or in addition with any other bulk traffic to it ?

how about the loading conditions on the link ?

is it still on testing environment before putting any live traffic on that ?

also can u confirm whether you gotta any QOS related esp related to queueing on the 2950 end ?

also any qos configs there in ur router ?

if possible can you post the configs of both the equipments here ?

what about the speed and duplex setting on both router as well as 2950 end ?

can you hardcode them to 10/full or 100/full instead leaving it to negotiate with the converter.

Generally the converters whatever i have seen supports 10/full and 10/half.may be thts the point to be checked out here too .

regds

Thanks for ur reply,

ur que. is answered below pls go through it, i doubt for long distance should i hv to put some ethernet peering in 2621 router ??

Are you getting drops only trying with ICMP traffic or in addition with any other bulk traffic to it ?

our SAP users get disconncted and its also capturing in monitoring as icmp drops.

how about the loading conditions on the link ?

loading is with traffic shaping of 1mbps

is it still on testing environment before putting any live traffic on that ?

no, it is with live traffic now.

also can u confirm whether you gotta any QOS related esp related to queueing on the 2950 end ?

no qos in 2950 and we dont require to put any qos in 2950

also any qos configs there in ur router ?

no qos is configured.

if possible can you post the configs of both the equipments here ?

router ethernet config is :

interface FastEthernet0/1

ip address 172.20.0.12 255.255.0.0

ip nat inside

duplex auto

speed auto

!

what about the speed and duplex setting on both router as well as 2950 end ?

2950 is with defual setting.

can you hardcode them to 10/full or 100/full instead leaving it to negotiate with the converter.

i had tried it before but result is same

Generally the converters whatever i have seen supports 10/full and 10/half.may be thts the point to be checked out here too .

Regards,

Hardik.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: