Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP with CAR

kanwaljeet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have one 128k link thru VSAT(link#1) and one 128k link thru local exchange(link #2). I want to configure load balancing in such a way that

1. I want my link#1 to be active only when the traffic on link# 2 reaches 60% of load.

2. After the link#2 reaches 60% utilization, all the traffic should flow thru link#1 and traffic on link #1 should not cross more than 60% without any pkts getting dropped.

I have configured variance and after the link#2 reaches 60% utilization, the traffic starts flowing thru link#1 but traffic on link#2 is exceeding 60% and reaching to around 95%.

I have achieved my objective number 1 but objective number 2 is still not achieved.

An early response will be highly appreciated.

Regards

kanwal

2 Replies 2

yusuff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Look into "backup load" command

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/dial_r/drprt4/drdbaks.htm#xtocid444713

When the transmitted or received load on the primary line is greater than the value assigned to the enable-threshold argument, the secondary line is enabled.

The secondary line is disabled when one of the following conditions occurs:

The transmitted load on the primary line plus the transmitted load on the secondary line is less than the value entered for the disable-load argument.

The received load on the primary line plus the received load on the secondary line is less than the value entered for the disable-load argument.

If the never keyword is used instead of an enable-threshold value, the secondary line is never activated because of traffic load. If the never keyword is used instead of a disable-load argument, the secondary line is never activated because of traffic load.

HTH

R/Yusuf

Hi Yusuf,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Actually i have already achieved my objective number 1 by doing what you have suggested. My concern is objective

number 2 and i look forward to a solution on objective number 2 from you.

Here i am repeating my objective number 2

When the traffic on link 2 reaches 60%, the rest traffic should move thru link 1 and traffic on link 2 should not exceed 60%.

Thanks in advance.

kanwal

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card