Views
Helpful
Replies

err-disabled

ney25
Level 2
Level 2

Dear NetPro,

Something i still in doubt about the "err-disabled", what is the root cause about this ? how come the switchport suddenly show the err-disabled ?

Regards,

Jack

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jack,

Can you check if the servers nic settings for speed and duplex is hard coded or on auto auto settings.

Make sure server nic and switch port settings match exactly and it is better to have manual settings fro speed and duplex as full.

Many a times due to late collisions also switch port goes into errdisable state. So check if there are any error messages on switch port like collisions or late collisions and try to get rid of the error messages.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

HI Jack,

There are many reasons which can cause switch port to go into errdisable state. For an example if you have configured the port for spantree portfast and also enabled BPDU guard on it and incase any BPDU are receivd on that port it will go into errdiable state.

Same way there are many reasons for switch port going into errdisable state like bpduguard | dtp-flap | gbic-invalid | link-flap | pagp-flap | psecure-violation | udld

There is a way to automatically bring the switch out from errdiable state which is known as errdisable recovery

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12111ea1/cr/cli1.htm#79686

HTH

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

yes, i agreed that many reasons can caused the port to errdisable state such as bpduguard | dtp-flap | gbic-invalid | link-flap | pagp-flap | psecure-violation | udld .

But, i have typed in the "errdisable recovery cause all" and the error message still show on the switchport as below :

Port Name Status Vlan Duplex Speed Type

"Fa2/13 ** Yahoo Server ** err-disabled 10 full 100 10/100BaseTX

so, what could cause this again ? Servers ?

your reply will be highly appreciated, thanks Ankur.

Regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

Can you check if the servers nic settings for speed and duplex is hard coded or on auto auto settings.

Make sure server nic and switch port settings match exactly and it is better to have manual settings fro speed and duplex as full.

Many a times due to late collisions also switch port goes into errdisable state. So check if there are any error messages on switch port like collisions or late collisions and try to get rid of the error messages.

HTH

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

Thanks for reply, noted. i will check the Server NIC Card settings once again. thanks alot ankur.

Regards,

Jack

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card