Views
Helpful
Replies

Excessive Giant Frames

reycco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I have two 6513's, one (Switch A) running IOS Version 12.2(14)SX1m, and the other (Switch B) running CatOS WS-C6513 Software, Version NmpSW: 8.2(1)

I configured etherchannel between the two switches having two physical fiber ports each running dot1Q.

I am getting a lot of giants on the etherchannel on Switch A side but none on the other end at Switch B

I have checked the the dot1q config and they all check out OK. the MTU on all ports are set to 1500.

Anyone has an idea why it is showing such a high rate of giants?

Thanks

Rey

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

alagrawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Rey,

Thanks for writing in. The ports that are showing the giants, are they the sup720 uplinks or 67xx module ports? There are a couple of cosmetic bugs filed to address the issue of ports incorrectly incrementing giants on trunk links.

CSCec62587: Giants on dot1q trunk with sup720 uplink ports. This bug is fixed in 12.2(17b)SXA

CSCef87392: Giants incorrectly counted on trunk with 67xx modules. This bug is fixed in 12.2(18)SXD3

Hope this helps.

regards

-Alok

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

alagrawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Rey,

Thanks for writing in. The ports that are showing the giants, are they the sup720 uplinks or 67xx module ports? There are a couple of cosmetic bugs filed to address the issue of ports incorrectly incrementing giants on trunk links.

CSCec62587: Giants on dot1q trunk with sup720 uplink ports. This bug is fixed in 12.2(17b)SXA

CSCef87392: Giants incorrectly counted on trunk with 67xx modules. This bug is fixed in 12.2(18)SXD3

Hope this helps.

regards

-Alok

Hi Alok,

Your suggestion looks good...

The uplinks on switch A which runs the IOS is a Sup720, on switch B which runs the CatOS the uplinks are on a Sup2 2GE. As far as I know we only experience this with the above pair of 6513's. We have a several of these 6513's I will check and compare with the others and get back to you.

Thanks

Rey

Hi Alok,

It is confirmed... your suggestion was right and an upgrade is needed...

Next task now is to determine which is the bestupgrade for us...

Thank you for your help... much appreciated...

Rey

Hi Rey,

you're most welcome. Thanks for the update.

warm regards

-Alok

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card