cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Help

makkers
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 4507's as my aggregation layer switches which are hosting 6 VLAN's supporting 6 IP subnets and each vlan presenting an HSRP address for each IP subnet.

When I kill the primary agg switch with the exception of 1 of the vlans the HSRP does not fail over to the other agg switch. The states stay in the 'init' state. I try to force the failover by shutting down and reenabling but this has no effect.

The vlan that stays up has our firealls on but cant see why this is differenct to any of the other vlans.

I am a little lost on this one...open to the community for feedback.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Configs attached.

Thansk

3 Replies 3

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Are you trunking these VLANs between your switches?

Whats the output of "show standby brief" on both switches?

Also you should use preempt on your configuration which will allow your interface with the highest priority to become the active interface

e.g.

standby preempt

HTH

Paddy

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

I am not sure what is going on here. I think there might be a clue in your statement that states stay in the init state. It might be helpful if you would post the output of show standby on both switches with both switches up. And then fail the primary switch. Then do show standby again and post both sets of output.

Another comment, though not related to this issue, is the configuration of helper address on all six VLANs is this:

ip helper-address 159.159.140.0

but that address is the subnet address and not a host address. So I believe that your helper address is not helping anything. I also find it very odd that you have configured it on VLAN 140 for which the helper address would be a locally connected address which does not need to be forwarded.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the responses, but I think I undertsand the issue. I was shutting down the interface vlan [1xx] therefore the switch would view this interface as 'init' as it had no relationship with the other hsrp memeber - the other switch did assume the HSRP ownership.

The answer some of the queries:

+ The vlans are trunked across both switches.

+ Rick- re the IP helper, you can configue to point to a one or more dhcp servers or if unknown the range that the dhcp servers sit on.

"ip helper-address address

Specify the DHCP packet forwarding address.

The helper address can be a specific DHCP server address, or it can be the network address if other DHCP servers are on the destination network segment. Using the network address enables other servers to respond to DHCP requests.

If you have multiple servers, you can configure one helper address for each server. "

Thansk for the help.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: