cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber Modules

yazanmughrabi
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any specific requirements when using Fiber GBIC uplinks? E.g. I have the following setup:

The GIBCs are 1000BaseLX from the core side (4509/SUP IV/WS-G5486=) and 1000BaseLX SFPs from the distribution side (3560/GLC-LH-SM). The result I got was a flapping error on the distribution side switches and no connect from the core side!

Any input would be highly appreciated...

Thanx

Yazan

5 Replies 5

Hello Yazan,

a couple of things could cause your problem: distance limitation, faulty hardware, or trunk misconfiguration.

You might want to check if your cables are ok: connect both the receive ends of your cable to the same GBIC first, and then to the SFP's, if the cable is ok, your GBIC and SFP's should give a link up.

Assuming that you are using trunks, how are the trunks configured ? Can you post the configs ?

Regards,

GP

Hey GP,

I tried the connecting both ends of the same core to the same GBIC but I still couldn't get a link up. The show interface gave me down/down (not connect), I tried connecting two 3560's SFPs together and they worked so i'm pretty sure that my configs are correct. My problem is that i couldn't get the GBICs on the core to work.

Thanx

Yazan

Hello Yazan,

if the receive/receive to the same GBIC does not bring the GBIC up, either the cable or the GBIC are faulty. Do you have another GBIC to exchange ?

Regards,

GP

Hi GP,

First of all thanks for your help. As for the cable I'm very sure it's ok since i took it from another working link, and when i returned it the other link came back up.

Regards

Yazan

Try "speed nonegotiate" on both sides of the link. We need it on all of our 45xx -> 3550 links...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card