Views
Helpful
Replies

forwarding switch info to a pc

chillewillie
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys,

For my uni project i'm going to create a simple web based program that monitors your switches within your network.

of course it's been done but uni projects don't have to be new :P

the problem is how do i gather that information? how can i make the switch forward information like

-connected pc's ip and mac addresses

-traffic utilisation for each port etc?

-switch configuration etc

how can i make the switch send me the data that i need?

thanks guys

Will

4 Replies 4

Justin Reeve
Level 1
Level 1

Do an SNMPGET for the information that you need e.g

snmpwalk -c public@2 10.1.1.179 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1.1

will give you an snmpwalk of the BRIDGE-MIB on the device, the device will return the MAC addresses where public is the RO community and 2 is the VLAN that your interested in.

Cheers

J

hi,

is there another way?

can't u have the router send this information?

perhaps i should be more specific.

i want to be able to show in the web based gui that i create what computers are connected to each switch.

So for example i have switch "one" and this switch will have computers 1 2 and 3..with mac adresses AED....and ip's of 192.1.....etc.

problem is how do i get that data? so i can represent it in the GUI

thanks in advance.

will

You'll have to do as the previous poster suggested--go get the information you desire.

Cisco switches and routers aren't able to do periodic data dumps as you're looking for. Their sole purpose is to switch and/or route traffic.

You can have switches send an snmp trap when a workstation connects/disconnects, then based on that have the server get (via snmp) the information.