cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay - Can't set sub-interface

dquilty
Level 1
Level 1

Have problem resetting and 'old' sub-interface. Here is a step by step guide to my problem...

1. Config'd Serial1 ..

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

bandwidth 256

keepalive 8

custom-queue-list 1

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

2. Config'd Sub-interfaces ..

interface Serial1.804 point-to-point

description PVC to xxx, 64k

ip address 10.61.2.214 255.255.255.252

bandwidth 64

frame-relay interface-dlci 804

No problem so far. However, found I used wrong DLCI and went about removing the sub-interface. NOTE: May have typed No Int S1.804 <cr> instead No Int S1.804 point-to-point.

3. Went to config sub-int with new details..

interface Serial1.801 point-to-point

description PVC to xxx, 64k

ip address 10.61.2.214 255.255.255.252

bandwidth 64

frame-relay interface-dlci 801

BUT as soon as I enter interface Serial1.801 point-to-point I get

"% Warning: cannot change link type".

A Sh Run now displays..

interface Serial1.801 multipoint

I deleted this and reset S1 back to default (and did write mem after each step).

Re-tried re-creating sub-int but same problem.

I ran Sh Int S1.801 and it states that line is down/protocol is down (even after I have deleted the sub-interface).

Short of using a new DLCI etc - is there any way of clearing this from the routers config/memory? Is this a known feature?

many thanks

David Quilty

4 Replies 4

drogell
Level 1
Level 1

Dave

You will have to do a no int s1.801 do wr mem and reboot, that will remove s1.801 multipoint subinterface.

Is it a reboot, or will doing a shut no shut on the S1 do the same thing?

If you put the wrong dlci in all you had to do was a no frame-relay interface-dlci xxx. To get rid of the multipoint type no int s1.804 and then reboot.

Unfortunately shutting down a interface does not clear out previous interface configs, it's not the same thing. There are a few instances in which Cisco devices don't clear unless you reboot. VLANS on a Cat for instance is also another simular situation