cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay

russell-r
Level 1
Level 1

all - i have two circuits going to a frame cloud with a CIR of 256, burstable to 512. they both go back to my main office via a host circuit of 512. can i make the "host" circuit 512 burstable to 1.5 or does the host have to be a dedicated circuit amount?

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

You can change those values to pretty much anything you want .... the problem is that your frame network is probably policed, and if you try to push too much data to the remote sites, you will almost certainly start dropping frames.

Most frame "clouds" only allow you to burst for a limited period of time (~0.125 second - 1/8th of a second), after that, frames are (in most cases) discarded. Then the traffic is re-transmitted, probably gets discarded, and the cycle continues.

The usual symptom is a slow running network (with the traffic shaping values set too high) because of all the re-transmission congestion and latency.

The idea is to set the traffic shaping to match the value of the destination site (or the site with the lower CIR). Inbound to the large pipe is no problem, it can handle all the traffic sent to it from a lower-bandwidth connection. Sending from a higher-bandwidth connection to a lower-bandwidth connection is the problem .... you have to pace the traffic to keep the traffic values near CIR, and within the allowable burst parameters (B-sub-c).

The amount of traffic allowed through the pipe (end-to-end) is set at the FR switch in the cloud.If you push more than that (depending on the provider, but mostly true), the excess burst traffic (B-sub-e) will be discarded.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card