cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

get rid of connected route

edgar-zapata
Level 1
Level 1

In a 3640, I issue the "show ip route" command.

the following lines show up:

C 192.168.91.0/24 is directly connected, Ethernet0/0

S* 0.0.0.0/0 [200/0] via 192.168.91.205

I'm trying to get rid of the directly connected route.

I've issued the "no ip route 192.168.91.0 255.255.255.0 e 0/0" command as well as several variants of above command.

I see no way of getting rid of it. Am I missing smtg?

regards.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you are missing something...

Any configured interface on a router that is up is going to populate the route of that interface in the route table. That's just how they work. Perhaps I'm not under4standing the question...

-Bo

View solution in original post

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why do you want to remove the connected route?

The connected route is in the routing table because that network is on your Ethernet 0/0 interface. The only way to remove the connected route from the routing table is to make the network not available on the interface.

If you really want to remove the static route from the routing table there are two things that you can do in config mode that will remove the connected route from the routing table.

config t

interface Ethernet0/0

shutdown

end

or

config t

interface Ethernet 0/0

no ip address

end

Frankly I doubt that you really want to do either of these but they are the only way I know to remove the connected route from the routing table.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you are missing something...

Any configured interface on a router that is up is going to populate the route of that interface in the route table. That's just how they work. Perhaps I'm not under4standing the question...

-Bo

thank you -Bo.

I guess that's just the answer I was looking for.

you mean that even if I didn't issue any specific command to announce that route, it's gonna be there, right?

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why do you want to remove the connected route?

The connected route is in the routing table because that network is on your Ethernet 0/0 interface. The only way to remove the connected route from the routing table is to make the network not available on the interface.

If you really want to remove the static route from the routing table there are two things that you can do in config mode that will remove the connected route from the routing table.

config t

interface Ethernet0/0

shutdown

end

or

config t

interface Ethernet 0/0

no ip address

end

Frankly I doubt that you really want to do either of these but they are the only way I know to remove the connected route from the routing table.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you much Rick.

I was missing something.

It's not the static route that I wanted to get rid of, but the directly connected one, though. Obviously, as by your response, I was wrong in expecting the directly connected route not to show in the routing table.

regards.