cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with 1900 series switches

dnehoda
Level 1
Level 1

I manage a rather large WAN and I also somehow became our Field LAN admin as well. I have about 150 sites that have these restaraunt systems that are constantly talking to each other the network because they are redundant. So I am getting dialy complaints all over the country about slow response to other applications. We have installed cisco 1900 series switches, which have alleviated the problems in some of the locations, but others not. Is there anyway to seperate these with a 1900? These are not the enterprise edition swithces and I am using 1750 routers which do not support ISL, so VLANS are out the question. Anyone PLEASE HELP....

3 Replies 3

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

Need some claification.

Where are the applications that are seeing slow response located ?

how are clients getting to these applications ?

what routing protocols are involved ?

what kind of links connect sites ?

The apps are located at headquarters. The clients are using a browser, sometimes a dumb terminal through an equinox and another is SAP. The routing prot is EIGRP and we have 56k frame circuits. But I think the problem is that these brodacasts hit the router and are constantly all over the network, so everything else has too fight with them. I was just wondering if there is any kind of config for the switch that will not allow any types of broadcasts through it's port, such as the router or a specific machine or even a hub that is plugged into the switch. For example if the router is plugged into port 1 and the hub is plugged into port 2, is there any way so that only those two ports talk to each other, but port 1 can also talk the rest of the ports on the switch. Like a one-to-one port mapping. A VLAN would be nice but with the equipment I have not feasible. Isn't there some sort of brigde group on the 1900's that is similar?

owen.vinall
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds rather familar. These are suggestions only. I would reset all counters on your switches. Telnet in to do this. Collect port Statistics the next day. Look for usual errors (Collisions ,Late Collisions Frame errors etc. This will indicate if there are any link type problems and any devices which are thrashing the local Lan segment. A poorly configured workstation can cause big problems. If you need help in identifying which devices (use the Mac address) just ask. Fix any errors could be cabling duplex or Nic card problems. Stats will show this easily. You can set the switch to stop passing packets if there is a Broadcast Storm your stats will show if there is. No doubt you are saying I havent answered the question. My response is always fix all link problems if any. Use stats collection to get an idea what is actually happening. Fix any issues you can. Poorly configured Workstations can cause significant problems which will make your Wan issue even worse. An overloaded Lan segment usually kills a Routers ability to pass data to and from the Wan. I am assuming your Routers have been configured to only pass essential Broadcast Traffic onto the Wan. Do you have I/P helper configured on the Router ?

Good luck I know what it feels like.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card