Views
Helpful
Replies

High Availability and load balancing

sharma.gaurav
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 6513 catalyst with redundant sup720 and msfc. All the servers are connected to this switch and there is no vlan configuration. Here is the hardware config of the box.

Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub Stat

--- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- --- ----

1 1 48 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet WS-X6148-GE-TX no ok

2 2 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6148-RJ-45 no ok

3 3 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6148-RJ-45 no ok

4 4 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6148-RJ-45 no ok

5 5 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6148-RJ-45 no ok

6 6 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6148-RJ-45 no ok

7 7 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-SUP720-BASE yes ok

15 7 1 Multilayer Switch Feature WS-SUP720 no ok

8 8 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-SUP720-BASE yes

I want to introduce a new 6513 chassis with same knid of configuration. Please help me out to configure these boxes to provide the high availabilty as well as load balancing for the server farm. Do I need to do any thing on the servers in terms of hwardare / software requirment to achieve the objective.

thnaks & regards

shalabh

4 Replies 4

bigchoice75
Level 1
Level 1

Hey shalabh,

I would firt make sure my supervisor redundancy is set for SRM SSO, this will provide the fastest failover in the event that a sup engine fails.

Do you want the 6513 to handle loadbalancing for servers? if so, you'll need to purchase additional line cards.

if not....

If you are using only a single VLAN you may want to create an etherchannel bundle with several gigabit interfaces and configure it as a trunk between the 6513's. Then you can install dual interface NIC cards on servers and configure them for loadbalancing. I would recommend the Intel Pro 100/1000MT dual port server adapters.

Hi,

Please tell me how to enable the SRM SSO feature for these two 6513 chassis.I want to have both load balancing and high availability feature enabled. Please advice me with the configuretion adn if possible with a simple network diagram.

regards

Shalabh78

Hi Shalabh,

Have a look at this link which will give you a detail description about SRM SSO redundancy configuration.

I will suggest you to read the complete link before starting any configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00802e4a9c.html

Also from your first output I see MSFC in slot 15 but I do not see any redundant MSFC in slot 16?

Also are you running your sups in hybrid mode or native mode?

HTH,if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

The config is the same for both switches:

(this will enable port channel bundle, you can specify upto 16 ports..i would recommend 10)

(config-if#)interface range gigabitethernet 1/1-2

(config-if#)Description PORT-CHANNEL Interface

(config-if#)switchport

(config-if#)channel-group 1 mode on

(config-if#)switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

(config-if#)switchport mode trunk

(config-if#)speed 1000

(config-if#)no shutdown

(Enable SRM SSO)

router(config)#redundancy

router(config-red)#mode sso

router(config-red)#end

router#show redundancy states

you should see my state = active

peer state = standby hot

where are your users come into the 6500's? if they are sitting on the 6500's I would recommend putting them in a separate vlan.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card